How Can I Study in Spain?

Spain is one of the European countries that receive more students per year. So How Can I Study in Spain? Here is the guide for you.

Annually, more than 185,000 young people from countries such as Italy, France, Mexico, Colombia, and Ecuador, among others, study at the universities of this country.

If you would like to be one of them, read on.

Visa NameTourist visaShort-Term Study VisaLong-Term Study Visa
Validity:3 Month6 months36 months
Can You work?NoNoNo
Duration Of The Procedure:15 days30 daysMinimum 30 days
ConditionsYou can do short courses with this visa. 
Valid passport. 
Medical expenses insurance. 
Round trip flight.
Letter of admission from the institution where you are going to study. 
Allows you to work 20 hours per week. 
After 6 months, you must process the long-term study visa.
Letter of admission from the institution where you are going to study. Must be renewed every 6 months. 
You can work 20 hours a week. 
It gives you the opportunity to apply for a work permit.

How Can I Study in Spain as an Indian? What do I need?

[wptb id=69222]

Did you finish high school and want to expand your horizons by studying abroad?

Are you in the middle of your degree and interested in living in a multicultural exchange? Spain is the ideal place for you!

Currently, and according to their country of origin, the Spanish authorities make different types of visas available to foreigners. They are adapted to the characteristics of the course to be studied and the applicant’s needs. 

Although the requirements vary according to the visa you are going to apply for, below we explain the most important ones:

Tourist visa. Also known as the Schengen Visa, it is a short-term visa that allows you to stay in the country for no more than 3 months. In addition to visiting your family and friends, it allows you to take short courses.

Some European Union and Latin America countries are exempt from presenting this visa; if you are interested in knowing if your country is one of them, click here.

Stay Visa for Studies. It allows you to stay in Spain for more than ninety days to carry out or extend your studies in an authorized educational centre in a full-time program, leading to obtaining a degree or certificate of studies. In turn, it is subdivided into two types:

  • Stay visa for short-term studies if you are interested in studying in Spain for more than three months but less than six months.
  • Stay on a visa for long-term studies if you plan to take a course whose duration is more significant than six months.

IMPORTANT: If your study visa is for a long duration, you will need to process the Foreigner Identity Card (TIE), a document that certifies your legal stay in Spain, your identification, and that has been granted to you by current regulations, authorization or recognition of the right to remain in Spanish territory for more than six months.

There are agreements between Spain and various countries where you are allowed to reside without needing to process any visa, as long as the course duration is less than three months and the activities you carry out do not have financial remuneration.

Would you like to know if your country is on this list? Check it out here.

So, do you dare to live this incredible experience? Do you still have doubts about what to do to achieve it? Keep reading, and then we will explain it to you.

How much does it Cost to Study in Spain?

Shared room in the capital $860
Shared room in another city$400
2 bedroom apartment in the capital$1200
2 bedroom apartment in another city$800
Bus or Metro ticket$2
Ticket to the Cinema$6
A beer in a bar$5
A beer at the supermarket$1
Typical Street Food$9
Food in a restaurant$12
Medical consultation$69
Average Life per Month$1500

Although Spain is not an economic country, the budget you should consider will depend entirely on the city you study. That is, living in Barcelona or Madrid will not be the same as living in a city in Galicia.

The difference between costs according to the city is so significant that, for example. At the same time, Barcelona is the most expensive city to rent or buy a house; filling the supermarket shopping cart is cheaper in Murcia than anywhere else, even though the city with the highest cost of living is Vitoria.

Therefore, you must take into consideration, as a first point, after doing all the pertinent pre-travel procedures (visa, flights, etc.), where you will reside, and how far it is from where you will study.

According to the latest Eurostudent studies, the cost of housing in Spain absorbs approximately 40% of the student budget, in addition to the 7% that is spent on transport.

Even though there is an excessive number of scholarships to study in Spain, granted by various organizations and the Spanish Government itself. 

The average monthly cost of living for a person, without considering the enrollment cost, is approximately $1,500, a figure that includes food, housing, essential services (water, electricity, telephone, gas), transportation, clothing, and entertainment.

So it will be essential to have savings to get through, at least the first two months, while you establish yourself in the city and look for, in case the visa you process allows it, some part-time job.

Can you Study in Spain for free?

Yes and no. Although education in Spain, speaking of enrollment in public universities, can be super affordable, there are external expenses at that cost that the student must cover.

However, there is the possibility of getting a scholarship, which we will discuss later, or applying for a tuition waiver.

If you are wondering, what is the right to a tuition waiver? It is a form of positive discrimination applied to achieve equal access to education for groups at risk of social exclusion, which allows them to become creditors of requesting the right to free or slightly cheaper enrollment.

The most recurrent cases in which this type of modality is requested are:

  • Students with honors. Did you have the best grades in your entire promotion? You can apply for the right to tuition exemption! Achieving this academic recognition allows you to apply for a tuition discount, at most universities, in the first year of studies at a higher level.
  • People with disabilities. Students with a degree of disability greater than or equal to 33% may also be exempt from paying tuition, encouraging the group’s labor insertion. In order to access the discount, it is essential to present the certified disability certificate.
  • Victims of terrorism. People who have suffered terrorist attacks, and their relatives, are part of another protected group. In order to become a creditor of a tuition reduction, it is necessary to take the Foster Resolution to the Aid Program for Victims of Terrorism.
  • Large family members. It is necessary to present a card that certifies that you have a large family because this exemption aims to allow all family unit members to access education under equal conditions.
  • Victims of gender violence. Victims of gender-based violence and their children under 25 years of age will be exempt from type of public prices for university academic services, showing that the judicial resolution guarantees this benefit.

If you are part of any of the groups mentioned above, you may be entitled to a reduction in the cost of your enrollment or even an exemption from it. 

If not, do not worry; there is also the possibility of applying for a scholarship to study in Spain. Later we will explain how, when, and where you can do it.

Are you interested in reducing your educational expenses? Continue reading.

How to Study in Spain University?

Thanks to its privileged position in ​​education and academic excellence, Spain has positioned itself in the top three of the European countries that receive the most international university students, along with England and Ireland.

Of the total amount, it is estimated that 36% of international students are from the American continent, and within that percentage, more than 40% are Latin American.

Therefore, it becomes one of the best options to consider if you are interested in having a multicultural academic experience in a first-world country.

What are the universities going to ask you?

You can enter any authorized, public or private university if you meet any of the following characteristics:

  • You finished high school in a country outside the European Union.
  • You started university studies in another country (belonging or not to the EU) and want to continue in Spain.
  • You finished your higher education studies in another country (belonging to the EU or not), and you wish to access the Spanish university system to take postgraduate courses, such as certificates, master’s degrees, or doctorates.

Although the requirements that universities could request vary according to the institution, the main ones are:

  • Baccalaureate documents from your country of origin homologated to the Spanish system.
  • Pass the Baccalaureate Assessment for University Access (EBAU), also known as selectivity, an access test adapted to the subjects studied in the Baccalaureate, or the Specific Competence Tests (PCE). If you would like to improve your grade, you can apply to the specific phase of the EBAU.

What is the process to be accepted?

If you are interested in being part of the Spanish educational system and enjoying the opportunities offered by studying in this country, what you should do is:

  1. Homologize your high school studies. The first step to achieving your goal, and being able to study in Spain, is to recognize the official validity of your documents within the Spanish educational system. The process is carried out by the Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sports of Spain. Although it is a relatively simple procedure, it takes 12 to 24 months, so it would be vital to consider this before buying flights. Alternatively, go ahead to look at the budget.
  2. Choose what and where you would like to study. The number of higher education programs is so varied that you will probably have to choose between two or three universities before deciding where you would like to study.
  3. Apply for admission to the university of your choice. After homologizing your documents and choosing the institution where you would like to study, the next step is applying to its pre-registration program. Usually, this process opens in June and must be done directly at the university you wish to enter or where you have taken the selectivity exam if it has not been at the UNED. This request is usually dealt with through the Foreigners Quota.
  4. Present the university admission test. Although foreign students no longer need to present the “University Access Test – PAU,” private universities carry out admission tests focused on the degree subjects. In addition to the exam, your grades during high school are considered and averaged with the test result.
  5. Wait for your acceptance letter to the university. Have you already done the paperwork, and finally, did they admit your application to the university? Cool! You are ready for the next step in this journey; review the type of visa you will explain.

Do not know what to do about the visa? What documents do you have to present, and what needs do you have to consider? We will explain it to you below.

Visas to Study in Spain

Do you want to study in this first-world European country? Then continue reading because we will tell you about the types of visas, their requirements, and the process you must carry out to fulfill your dream.

Tourist Visa to Study in Spain

Do you intend to travel to Spain to study, but not necessarily work, during your stay in the country? Is the course you are going to apply for short? This is your visa.

The tourist visa, or Schengen, allows you to stay in Spain for up to three months to visit family and friends or to take an educational course of fewer than three months. While in the country, with this type of visa, you can apply for a student visa before the established expiration date.

 What do I need?

  • Visa application form. Depending on your country, it can be the national visa form or the Schengen visa form.
  • Proof of the appointment specifies the date and time you must go to the embassy or consulate.
  • 1 recent color photograph in passport size.
  • 1 valid passport. It is essential that it has at least 2 blank pages and is valid until three months after your scheduled departure from Spain.
  • Proof of contracting international medical insurance. The coverage must be at least 30,000 euros and guarantee medical attention in any situation and the repatriation of remains if applicable.
  • Reservation of the one-way ticket to Spain and back to your country or another destination.
  • Accommodation test.
  • Solvency of economic means.


  1. Find a short-term course. Remember that, although this visa is a tourist visa, the Spanish authorities allow you to study during your stay in the country as long as the course duration is not longer than 90 days. Spain has such an extensive educational offer that you will find something that adapts to the characteristics of this visa and allows you to prepare yourself academically in a subject of interest. IMPORTANT: After finding your course, it is necessary to bring the letter of admission, in addition to the documents that we mentioned, so that the Spanish authorities are aware of the main objective of your trip.
  2. Fill in the visa application form. Remember that, although this is not a requirement for all countries, you should check if it will be necessary to carry out this entire process to enter the country as a tourist. If you have doubts about this, check the following list.
  3. Check that your documents and passport are valid. We know that it is a somewhat obvious step, but you cannot imagine the number of people who try to do paperwork with expired passports. Therefore, you must check that all your documents are in order before moving on to the next step.
  4. Book the round-trip ticket. It is one of the essential requirements in processing the tourist visa; the Spanish authorities want to be sure that your stay in the country will be the one allowed by this type of visa.
  5. Expect. Have you already met all the requirements we listed in the previous section? It only remains to wait for an answer. Usually, the admission process lasts around 15 days, so you will soon know the final resolution and be able to continue planning your trip.
  6. Admitted? Incredible. Now it is time to look at the rest of your trip. Where are you going to go when you are not studying? What are you going to do? How much money should you bring? If you have doubts about the budget, do not hesitate to check the costs we leave you in this article.

Can you study and work?

No, even though the tourist visa does allow you to take short-term courses no longer than 90 days, the Spanish authorities do not allow you to work with only this visa.

For this, it will be necessary to process a short-term study visa or, failing that, a work permit.

Short Term Study Visa
Does your course last more than three months but less than six months? This is the visa you should apply for. Here is what you need to do.

Do I need IELTS?

IELTS is for English Language Country? But it depends on the university.

What do I need?

  • Schengen visa application form. 1 photo, passport-type, in color, 3 × 4, with a white background (no photocopies of photos).
  • Passport, valid for at least three months after the expected departure date from the Schengen Area. It must contain a minimum of two blank pages and must have been issued within the last 10 years.
  • Reservation of the Schengen Area returns ticket, where the stay dates and the applicant’s name are clearly expressed.
  • Travel medical insurance, for the entire period of the planned stay in the Schengen Zone, valid for all Schengen States and covering directly (policies subject to excess or reimbursement are not accepted) and with a minimum coverage of 30,000 euros the following contingencies:

– medical care, treatment, and hospital stay.

– all expenses that may arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons.

– death during the stay and expenses for repatriation of mortal remains.

  • The policy must clearly state the name of the insured, the coverage area, and the travel dates.
  • Payment of the consular fee.
  • Documents proving the availability of economic resources :
  • – Valid means of proof to prove sufficient resources to cover the expenses of the stay
  • – Bank account movements for the last three months, showing the final amounts available.
  • – Available limit of credit cards.
  • – Payroll, salary settlements, or fee slips.
  • Documents that allow establishing the applicant’s intention to leave the Schengen territory before the expiration of the requested visa.
  • Documents proving the professional and socioeconomic situation of the applicant (salary settlements, contract, etc.).
  • Certificate from the applicant’s company, specifying the dates on which he/she has vacation leave and leave.

Documents Supporting Accommodation :

  • – Hotel or tour reservations for the total travel time.
  • – Documents accrediting the rental or ownership of a home.
  • – Letter of invitation, if the person receives the invitation from a family member or friend, the police station of the place of residence of the inviter is competent to process it.
  • Acceptance letter from a University or institution in the destination Member State with seal and signature.


  1. Do you already know where you are going to study? If not, this is the first step. Make a list of at least five institutions where you would like to study and what type, of course, you are interested in doing. It is essential to explore your options in depth.
  2. Fill out the Schengen Visa Application. We discussed the specifications of the photos and other technical issues in the previous section, but, as always, remember that making two copies of each document is essential. Just in case it was needed at some point.
  3. Valid passport and documents ready. We know that we repeat it many times but, really, two copies, at least, for each document! It is always good to have a backup in case it becomes necessary, at some point, even during your stay, to present them again.
  4. Pay the processing fee. After verifying your documents and checking the passport subject, it remains to pay the cost of processing the visa, which is USD $71.
  5. It is time to wait for an answer. Approximately the response time for the request is four weeks. Do not despair; meanwhile, check out the rest of the trip preparations. What are you going to do when you arrive in Spain? How much budget are you going to have? Where will you live? Is it close to the place where you are going to study?
  6. Authorized visa? You have almost completed the pre-trip planning! From now on, you can start checking the issue of flights and the rest of the expenses you will have to cover remotely, such as lodging and the cost of registering for the course you will take.

Can you study and work?

Yes, you can do professional internships in companies related to your studies. By law, only 20 working hours are allowed, and there are two types of internships:

  • Curricular practices. In which your academic institution agrees with the place where you are going to work, where it is established that the salary you will receive is not your financial support for the duration of your stay in Spain.
  • Extracurricular practices. In this situation, your employer must request a work authorization at the Immigration Office corresponding to the locality in which you live.

Long-Term Study Visa

After being admitted to the university, the next step is to apply for a student visa at the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport.

This visa incorporates the authorization to stay and study for six months onwards. If this is the case, it will also be necessary to process the Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) requested at your city’s diplomatic mission or consular office in Spanish.

What do I need?

The application is submitted in person after filling out the online National Visa Application form, together with the following documents:

  • Document of admission in a teaching center authorized in Spain to carry out full-time studies and obtain a degree.
  • Valid passport or travel document.
  • Accreditation justifies that you have the financial means to support the expenses of staying and returning to your country and, if applicable, your relatives.
  • Insurance, public or private, medical that is valid in Spain.
  • Payment of processing fee.
  • Visa application form. According to your country, it can be the national visa form or the Schengen visa form. If you have doubts about whether or not your country requires a visa, check this list.

If the course lasts more than six months, you must also bring:

  • Medical certificate.
  • The certificate that guarantees that you do not have a criminal record.


Have you already chosen the university and career you will study at?

Did you gather the necessary pre-visa documents? Excellent, then it only remains to carry out the application process for the student visa.

What you should do is:

  1. Fill out the National Visa Application online. It is part of the visa application process to fill out and submit this form in person at the Spanish consular office in your country, along with the rest of the documents. Remember; to read the questions and answer options given to you carefully recommend printing two or three copies just in case you need to start from scratch.
  2. Gather the required documents. Do you remember those folders you used in elementary school to keep the reading reports that the teacher left us? It is time to get yourself one, just like it. Gather all the required documents, with one or two copies for each one, and keep them in a folder to avoid loss on the way to the consular office.
  3. Pay the processing fee. In addition to bringing all the necessary documents, consider including in your travel budget the modest amount of USD $71, which is the cost of processing the visa.
  4. Be patient. After making the payment and submitting your documents, all you have to do is wait for the letter of acceptance from the Spanish authorities regarding the visa process. The average time is 4 weeks, so while you wait, you can look at the rest of the requirements, the cost of flights, the issue of rent, what places you would like to visit, etc. There is plenty of time to plan.
  5. Did they accept you? Let us go for the rest of the trip. Did you receive the authorization letter for your visa? You already have one foot in Spain. All you have to do is plan the rest of your trip. It is time to use all the information you gathered during the four weeks of waiting you spent and start booking, renting, and seeing how the initial budget will turn out.

Can you study and work?

Yes! Is this possible to do? You can be authorized to perform jobs that are compatible with your studies.

The authorization you request will allow you to work in a specific company and geographical area for a maximum of 20 hours per week and will have a duration equal to that of the employment contract held by the interested party without being able to exceed the time you will be studying.

You must demonstrate that your work activity does not interfere with completing your studies and that the salary you obtain is complementary to your economic funds.

The idea is to prove that the job is unnecessary for your support or to pay your school fees.

Foreigner Identity Card (TIE)

If your stay is longer than six months, it will be necessary to process the TIE. This document certifies the legal permanence of foreigners in Spain, their identification, and that authorization to remain in Spanish territory has been granted by current regulations.

To apply for the Foreigner Identity Card, you must go to the Foreigners Office or, failing that, to the Police Station of the province where you are residing, with documents that we will list in the next section.

What do I need?

The requirements that you will be asked to apply for the TIE for the first time are:

  • Passport or travel document with the entry stamp, sign, or control mark made at the border post.
  • Three recent color photographs with a white background, passport size.
  • Your visa.
  • Resolution granting the authorization justifies the issuance of the card (unless the interested party consents to verify said information by the General State Administration).
  • Proof of payment of the corresponding fee(s).
  • Proof of affiliation and registration with Social Security, if applicable.

IMPORTANT: You must carry your TIE all the time in the case, at some point, the Spanish authorities ask you to see it.

 Can you study and work in Spain?

Yes. Although it is not a visa, the TIE allows you to extend your stay in Spain and continue enjoying the benefits that the student visa grants you, which we discussed in the previous section.

This with the same conditions as those of the student visa, part-time work (20 hours a week), where you demonstrate that your work activity does not interfere with the completion of your studies and that the salary you are earning complements the fund that you initially wore to survive. 

In which universities can I study in Spain?

Spain has approximately 81 higher education institutions where you can study without any problem.

However, based on acceptance rate, world ranking, and student-faculty ratio, the best universities for international students are:

  • University of Barcelona
  • Autonomous University of Barcelona
  • Autonomous University of Madrid
  • University of Valencia (The University of Valencia)
  • Sevilla University
  • Complutense University of Madrid (Complutense University of Madrid)
  • Pompeu Fabra University
  • university of Navarra
  • Pablo de Olavide University
  • University of Granada
  • University of Salamanca
  • University of Deusto (University of Deusto)
  • Open University of Catalonia
  • University of Rovira I Virgili
  • University of Alcala

Leave a Comment